Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cowboy Spaghetti

From Rachael Ray

1 lb spaghetti (I recommend angel hair for this one)
salt
1 tbsp olive oil
3 slices of bacon
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic
pepper
2 tsp hot sauce
1 tbsp worcestshire sauce (I went really heavy on the worcestshire)
1/2 cup beer
14 oz chopped or crushed fire roasted tomatoes
8 oz tomato sauce
sharp cheddar

Cook spaghetti to al dente.

Heat large skillet with olive oil and bacon. Cook until brown and crisp. Remove and allow to cool. Once cool, crumble the bacon.

Add beef to skillet and brown.

Once brown, add onions and garlic. Allow to soften. Season with salt and pepper. Add hot sauce and worcestshire. Allow to cook for a few minutes.

Add 1/2 cup of beer to de-glaze pan.

Cook 5-6 minutes and stir in tomatoes and sauce. Allow to simmer for flavors to combine.

Add sauce to spaghetti and mix together well.

Grate/Sprinkle with cheese (this is important!)

Comments: I was a little unsure about this at first. I prefer my pasta to be very saucy and J really, really likes his to be saucy. This was not. At all. I was afraid there wouldn't be much flavor. I forgot the cheese at first, and the pasta tasted pretty good. I don't often salt and pepper my food at the table, but I felt like this needed it.

Then I remembered the cheese. That changed everything. I didn't add a lot, just a sprinkle. But it totally added so much flavor.

I'm really looking forward to making this again so I can tweak it exactly to our tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment