Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Neopolitan Baked Ziti

From Rachael Ray

1 lb ziti
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
28 oz can whole plum tomatoes
4-5 basil leaves, torn
salt and pepper
3 tbsp butter
2 cups milk
1 bay leaf
nutmeg
mozzarella
1/4 parmigiano reggiano

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Cook pasta to just shy of al dente according to package directions.

While pasta is cooking, start the red sauce: In a medium sized pot over medium-high heat place 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring every now and then until the onions start to get tender (about 3-4 minutes).

Add the tomatoes and smash them up into small pieces. Add the basil and season with some salt and pepper. Bring up to a bubble and simmer for 15 minutes.

To make white sauce: Heat medium sized sauce pan over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the flour, stir to combine and cook for about a minute. Whisk in the milk and add the bay leaf. Season with some salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a bubble, turn the heat down to low and gently simmer, stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Don't forget to remove the bay leaf.

Combine the cooked ziti with the red sauce in the pot the pasta was cooked in and then transfer into a prepared baking dish. Top with the white sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmigiano reggiano over the top. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Comments: I felt big time with three pots going on the stove at the same time. It sounds like a lot, and I was afraid I might get overwhelmed. It really wasn't as bad as I thought. So this obviously isn't the most simple recipe. And I'm not sure it was really worth the effort. I wasn't overly impressed with it. I expected more flavor with both a white and a red sauce. Maybe I wasn't heavy handed enough with the seasoning. I would like to give it another try because I feel like it should have been better than it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment